Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's Rosarito-Ensenada Week!

For Southern California cyclists, the Rosarito-Ensenada bike ride is like a yearly pilgrimage. A 50 mile bike ride that highlights both the beauty and harshness of Baja California. And it happens once again this coming Saturday.

Start Line.jpg


In a sense the ride has risen from the ashes like a Phoenix for it's 30th anniversay. Last year it was announced that after 29 years, the ride would be no more. This was surprising to both locals and visitors who come from around the world, because this event at one point had gotten so popular that what was originally a yearly event, turned into 2 rides per year, one is April and in September. However with the however, the Baja Tourism board came up with funds in order to host the ride once again. So this coming Saturday, the 30th Anniversary ride is on!

34276426-453A-4985-A678-14F8A82092FC.jpg


The best part of this ride is simply the scenery, and because the roads are closed to vehicles, you can actually enjoy it. You ride along the coast from Rosarito heading south for about 22 miles. On a clear day, the vast Pacific fills the horizon and the salty ocean breeze keeps you cool. That's important because then you head inland to face a climb the locals call "El Tigre." When I did this ride in 2007, with little to no preparation, I did the walk of shame, all the way up and over. I didn't have the legs. I promised myself that I wouldn't do that again. Last year, I was proud to ride all the way into Ensenada feeling very strong.


Photo_092907_009.jpg



Once you're over El Tigre, the descent can get a bit hairy, but after a few miles you find the Pacific again then it's about 10 miles into the city of Ensenada, where a big fiesta awaits at the finish line.

PICT0561.JPG


Last September I did the ride in 4 hours and a bit. This year I'm hoping to get in under 4 hours. I'll let you know.


Ride on!


No comments:

Post a Comment